Edge has its built-in ability to run PDF files, but there may be many reasons as to why you would not want to use it. If you want to make use of Adobe PDF instead, then we will help you out.
In case the user wishes to disable the Edge PDF viewer through Settings, then they can pursue the mentioned instructions.
- Click on the Windows button on your system.
- After that, input ‘Default Programs’ into the Windows Search.
- Then select the Default Programs within the search outcomes.
- You should move down and select the ‘Choose default apps by file type.’
- Then move down unless you view ‘.pdf.’ you can see the MS Edge button on the right-hand side.
- You have to click on the MS Edge.
Through Context Menu
In case the user wants to disable the Edge PDF viewer through the context menu, then abide by the provided steps.
- Find the file that you would like to modify the standard application for.
- You should select the file, and right-click on it then reach the ‘Open with’ option.
- Go to the ‘Choose another app’ within the freshly launched menu.
- You have to choose the preferred application.
- Later, look the choice that says ‘Always use this app to open .pdf files.’
- Now, click on the OK.
Through the Control Panel
In case the user wishes to disable the Edge PDF viewer through the control panel, then they can pursue the mentioned instructions.
- Press the Windows + X keys together on the keyboard.
- You should select the Control Panel option.
- Then choose the Programs option.
- Go to the Default Programs.
- You have to select the ‘Associate a file type or protocol with a program’ option.
- Find and select the ‘.pdf.’ option within the list.
- Later, select the ‘Change Program’ tab situated on the upper right-hand side of the screen.
- Finally, choose the preferred software and click on the OK tab.
Through Registry Editor
In case the user wants to disable the Edge PDF viewer through Registry Editor, then abide by the provided steps.
- Press the Win + R keys together on the keyboard.
- Enter ‘regedit.exe’ then hit the Enter key.
- You should click on the Yes in case it asks for verification.
- Navigate to the address: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_25.10586.0.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Capabilities\FileAssociations.
- Pursue the instructions provided below, whether you do not ensure how to reach this path.
- Click twice on ‘ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.’
- Then twice click on Software.
- Reach the Classes and twice click on it.
- Select Local Settings and click twice on it.
- Choose Software and twice click on it.
- Click twice on Microsoft.
- Twice click on Windows.
- Navigate to Current Version and twice click on it.
- Choose ‘AppModel’ then twice click on it.
- Reach the Repository and click twice on it.
- Click twice on Packages.
- Twice click on ‘MicrosoftEdge_25.10586.0.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe’.
- The MicrosoftEdge _25.10586.0.0 is the version number of MS Edge.
- Click twice on MS Edge.
- Go to Capabilities and twice click on it.
- Then select the ‘FileAssociations’ option.
Don’t forget the number in its Data field. Write down the number or capture an image. Navigate to the address: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\ AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723.
You should do that pursuing the instructions provided below
- Move up in the left-hand side panel of ‘ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.’
- Then twice click on the ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER.’
- You should click twice on Software.
- Then go to the Classes and twice click on it.
- Navigate to the ‘AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723.’ You can simply find it by checking at the final 3 digits.
- Select the Edit option and choose the New option then pick the String Value option.
- Enter its name ‘NoOpenWith’ then hit the Enter key.
- Now, in case you are running an anniversary update of Windows 10 and create a fresh string with ‘NoStaticDefaultVerb’ name too.
Aida Martin has diverse interests that range from writing to video games. She has always had a strong passion for writing. She likes to write about games, tech events, security, and whitepapers. Her vast and varied knowledge aided by her supreme writing skills, have made her a powerful writer at norton.com/setup.