When playing Minecraft in the survival mode, it is challenging to build a Nether portal. It requires hours of preparation to form a passage between the two worlds, i.e. the Overworld and the Nether. Fortunately, there are two different ways present to access the gateway, depending on how much time the user want to devote.
Besides, completing the Nether portal means getting access to the hellish Nether. It is a place filled with the intimidating environment, hostile mobs, and daunting Nether fortresses. Also, players can find a variety of unique crafting items and resources, that make it a priceless location of the game. However, reaching the Nether takes a bit of work. But reaching it requires a lot of preparation.
Reaching Nether without a Diamond Axe
It is possible to build a functional Nether portal without the elusive in-game diamonds. To build the portal, obsidian is the most vital and primary ingredient, that cannot be broken without the support of a diamond pickaxe. Conversely, if you are aiming to arrive at Nether earlier than your neighbor, then let’s start what you will need:
A water source:
Obsidian is formed when a lava source block comes in contact with water. In short, players will require a replenishable water source to complete this. For that, all you need to do is dig a 4×4 ground hole and pour a bucket of water into three corners to build an infinite well. Make sure to extract water from one corner at a time to make an ever-full well. Otherwise, you will end up wasting your time in the Nether.
A lava source:
Lava is slightly harder to come by. Gamers need to locate a natural reservoir of lava to draw from. Most importantly, you also need a minimum of 10 plethoras of the iron bucket to bring the lava. It is luckily common in the Minecraft on both below and above ground. But you cannot depend on having an infinite source.
Buckets are used for transporting the liquid from one place to another. It plays an important role when you are getting liquid to build the Nether portal in the game. Also, gamers can conveniently create iron buckets using the three iron ingots.
After building blocks, make sure to use a pickaxe in case you have chosen cobblestone and selected a shovel. The gamers can patch up their every mistake with the combination.
Building a Nether Portal in Minecraft without Diamond Pickaxe
Make sure that you have collected every material to make the Nether portal that includes a minimum of 10 obsidian blocks in a 4×5 rectangle shape. With this, you will be able to form a 2×3 opening in the middle of the gateway. Now, you have to follow the same procedure as building a Nether portal that is:
- Finding a suitable location. Sometimes, it is possible for Nether mobs to travel through the gateway. In such cases, it is recommended to build a closed space for keeping the Nether portal separate from everything else.
- Initially, you need to place your building blocks on the ground in a 3×6 rectangle. The secret in making the Nether portal is to make the obsidian before getting access to the diamonds. With this, you can overcome the hard part and walk on the uncharted path conveniently.
- Try to fill the mold with lava. Make sure to full each block of lava completely. For that, users will require a bucket of lava for each spot.
- Empty the bucket of water at the corner of the mold. This process will make a bit of chaos, whereas you need to run water over the lava blocks to turn them into obsidian.
- To make the sides of the Nether portal, fabricate a column using one block and open it directly over the obsidian blocks.
- Now, players need to repeat steps 3 and 4 as it is the only possible way to make obsidian.
- Afterward, repeat steps 5 and 6 two times on both sides. Also, the Nether portal requires five obsidian black from bottom to the top.
- The users need to build one block down the bridge from the top of the obsidian pillars.
- Now, to stop lava from spilling everywhere, you need to build a railing to the bridge that should be equal to the top part of your obsidian pillars.
- At last, once again repeat steps 3 and 4. Once the water is cleared away, you can access a fully functional Nether portal easily.
- Don’t forget to clear away the excess material of your building and ensure to check the measurements. In case you face any problem, make sure to repeat the steps mentioned earlier in a different location.
- If everything goes right while building the gateway, then an ominous purple glow will appear in the Nether portal.
Reaching to the Nether with Diamonds
When you have found the diamonds, then you will able to build a diamond pickaxe. It is the only capable tool available for mining the obsidian. In other words, a player can build obsidian just by locating and mine it using diamond pickaxe whenever the user wants. After the mining process finishes, choose the location for the Nether portal and build it. Make sure to bring extra obsidian in case you get lost.