Outlook makes work more organized. It makes our daily life run smoothly. Categories help in sorting messages and it is easy to group similar messages for convenience. However, many people keep complaining that they are not able to get a blank category in Outlook. Are you one of them? Go through the given below steps carefully to know different ways of solving this problem.
Note: For searching on empty values, the user just have to make use of the query option that they generally would use. However, they will have to add open and close brackets in place of the value.
How to look for a blank category in Microsoft Outlook
- Select a single view
- Firstly, go to Outlook.
- Then, choose the View tab.
- After that, press on Change view.
- Next, click on Single.
- Lastly, note that after completing the above-given steps, whenever you look for the mails, then you shall be seeing the flags as well as categories in the search results.
- Prefer using brackets in the search query
- Firstly, press inside the query area.
- Then, include ‘open and closed bracket’ rather than the value that you would generally search for.
- After that, for receiving the ‘opposite results,’ and search data without any value, you require using ‘Not’ before putting the brackets.
- For finding a message without the subject- subject :
- For finding a message without a category- category: 
- For searching the messages that do not have any category allotted- NOT CATEGORY: 
- The contacts that do not have birthday mentioned but are from the category ‘Family’- birthday:  category: Family
- Prefer using the advanced find option
Note: This is applicable for Outlook 2007 and earlier.
- Firstly, start Outlook.
- Then, press the combination Ctrl+Shift+F keys on the keyboard for opening the Advanced Find.
- After that, press the Advanced tab.
- Lastly, write down the query that you want and put the condition to ‘Is empty,’ or ‘does not exist.’
- Rename every present category
- Rename every present category to have a particular word or number.
- Then, go to the under your search folders.
- After that, press on the new one.
- Next, go to under Criteria.
- Then, choose Advanced.
- After that, put the categories field.
- Next, go to the pull-down menu.
- Then choose ‘Does not contain.’
- Next, write the value towards the right-hand side.
- After that, press on Add to list.
- Lastly, press on OK twice.
Congratulations! You have been able to get a blank category in Outlook.
Ellen Cooper is a creative person who has been writing blogs and articles about cybersecurity. She writes about the latest updates regarding mcafee.com/activate and how it can improve the work experience of users. Her articles have been published in many popular e-magazines, blogs, and websites.