If you are upgraded to Windows 10 or updated to the latest Windows 10 build, then there are higher chances that your Microphone might not be working properly; this is because the audio drivers got corrupted in the update or upgrade process. At times, drivers might become incompatible or outdated with the Windows 10, and hence you are facing the Microphone not working error.
However, due to permission reasons, this issue might cause. After the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, all the apps and games are simply denied access to your microphone and webcam. So, whenever you want to use any games or apps that utilize a webcam or microphone, then you have to manually allow them in the Windows 10 settings to fix this error.
Below we discuss stepwise guide to fixing the Microphone not working in Windows 10. But we advise you to follow the below-given steps in a proper sequence as this will prevent you from occurring any other error or takes less time and efforts. The steps are discussed below.
Steps to Fix Microphone Not Working in Windows 10
To fix this issue follow the steps, but ensure that you have created a restore point if in case anything goes wrong. Here how to do it:
Method-1: Turn On Microphone
- Firstly, right-click on the “Volume” icon appears on the system tray.
- Then, choose “Recording” option.
Note: With the latest updates of Windows 10, you need to right-click on the Volume icon and then select Sounds and change it to the Recording tab.
- Again, right-click in the empty area under the Recording Devices window and then choose Show disconnected devices and Show disabled devices option.
- Once again, right-click on the “Microphone” tab and choose “Enabled” option.
- Click on the “Apply” button.
- Next, click on the OK tab.
- After that, click the Windows + I keys together to open the “Settings” tab.
- Then, click on the “Privacy” option.
- Select “Microphone” option from the left side menu.
- Turn on the button for “Lets apps use my microphone” under the Microphone tab.
- Finally, restart your computer system to save all the changes.
Check that if you can Fix Windows 10 Microphone not working issue or not. If not, then try the next method.
Method-2: Set Microphone as your Default Device
- Initially, you need to right-click on the “Volume” icon in the system tray and then select the Recording devices option.
- Then, right-click on the “Microphone” option and choose “Set as Default Device.”
- Click on the Apply tab.
- After that, click on the OK tab.
- At last, reboot your system to save all the changes.
Hopefully, the aforementioned stps will help you in fixing this Microphone not working issue, try both the method one by one, you will surely get success in fixing this error.
Aida Martin is a self-professed security expert; She has been making the people aware of the security threats. Her passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. She writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.